Whether you are a resident or a cross-border worker, you can get state financial assistance for your children’s higher education. What are the grant conditions? How and when to apply?
The Luxembourg State provides various support to students, whether they are Luxembourgers, foreigners or children of cross-border workers. This tool can be study grants, mobility grants, student loans, partial reimbursement of registration fees, etc. What are the award conditions, what are the amounts and how to obtain these aids?
Who can get financial aid (AideFi) to study?
Anyone registered as full-time or part-time student in the study cycle ofHigher education :
- It must be a graduate cycle (1ehm cycle 2th cycle, research education cycle)
- The study cycle must provide a diploma, degree or degree higher education
- The study cycle must be part of the higher education system the country in which the title is awarded.
What are the prerequisites for the population?
Recipient based in Luxembourg must:
- a flat Luxembourg national or a family member of a Luxembourg national resident in Luxembourg; Where
- a flat a national of another Member State of the European Union (EU) or one of the other States party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) or the Swiss Confederation and:
- to live in Luxembourg as a worker (including self-employed persons and pensioners) or to be a family member of the person mentioned above; Where
- acquired the right of permanent residence; Where
- they have political refugee status in Luxembourg; Where
- a flat third country national or stateless and:
- have got used to be actually from Luxembourg less than 5 years (or you have acquired long – term resident status before submitting 1D a request); a
- hold a Luxembourg school-leaving certificate or a diploma or a diploma recognized as equivalent to a Luxembourg diploma.
Note: A student living in Luxembourg as part of his / her studies and who has a minimum social wage is considered a non-resident.
Note: Approved internships do not entitle you to AIdeFi.
What are the prerequisites for non-residents?
Recipient not local, cross-country must:
- a flat worker (including the self-employed), a Luxembourg national or an EU or other EEA State or the Swiss Confederation, employed or pursuing his activity in Luxembourg at the time of application for AideFi for higher education; Where
- be a recipient of an orphan’s pension from Luxembourg, a Luxembourg national or a national of the EU or another EEA State or the Swiss Confederation; Where
- be a child workera Luxembourg national or a national of an EU or another EEA State or the Swiss Confederation, contributing to student nutrition a employed or pursuing his activity in Luxembourg at the time of the student ‘s application for AideFi for higher education, and provided that that:
- the parent was affiliated in the Joint Social Security Center (CCSS) for a cumulative period of at least 5 years during a reference period of 10 yearsbefore application; Where
- the parent was associated with CCSS for a cumulative period of at least 10 years at the time of application ; Where
- the student is enrolled for min 5 years of cumulative study :
- in a public or private establishment established in Luxembourg which provides primary education, secondary education or initial training; Where
- in the “Deutsch-Luxemburgisches Schengen-Lyzeum Perl”; Where
- in a study program offered by the University of Luxembourg leading to a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree or to a diploma in specialized medical studies; Where
- in a study program leading to a higher technical certificate and accredited by a minister; Where
- in an accredited study program of a foreign university based in Luxembourg and accredited by a Minister; Where
- the student has legally resident in Luxembourg for a cumulative period of at least 5 years at the time of application.
- the periods during which the person worked for a European or international institution established in Luxembourg and / or received a pension, annuity or unemployment benefit from the State shall be counted as a necessary minimum duration;
- also included is a child who is part of a household where the spouse or partner of the parent meets the above conditions;
- a student who resides in Luxembourg mainly in the course of his studies and whose total annual income does not exceed the minimum social wage for unskilled staff is considered to be a non-resident student;
- approved internships are not paid activities, but essentially educational activities and do not qualify for AideFi.
What are the first steps non-residents need to take?
For non-resident studentsAideFi is a alternative assistance. Before applying, these students must take all necessary steps in their country of residence to obtain financial assistance for their studies.
Attention : the student must respect Dates listing the application in its Country of residence.
The official answer, positive or negative, for the current academic year must be attached to the AideFi application in Luxembourg or provided later. Certificates stating the administrative reasons for the refusal are not accepted. Certificates must cover the relevant academic year and are renewed each year.
In the absence of an official response from the competent authorities of the applicant’s country of residence, AideFi cannot be granted.
Competent authorities for neighboring countries:
- Regional Council (for health and social education).
The time limit they are in absolute respect.
Any request sent outside the deadlines is Rejected.
A ask for help to be introduced for each semester even if the student is registered annually.
The application must be submitted:
- for November 30 for winter semester: application is available from 1ehm workday the month of August;
- for April 30 for summer semester: application is available from 1ehm workday January.
How much AideFi?
AideFi consists of:
- different cumulative scholarships ;
- student loan with interest.
Understand different exchanges
The categories of scholarships are as follows:
- basic scholarship :
- awarded to all eligible students;
- the amount is set at 1,050 eur for semester;
- mobility grant :
- accessible to eligible students:
- registered in the program higher education outside the national borders of the country of residence the household to which they belong;
- who prove that they bear the cost of renting the accommodation;
- the amount is set at 1 286 eur for semester;
- accessible to eligible students:
- grant based on social criteria :
- it is granted to eligible students whose total taxable income of the household to which they belong is less than or equal to 4.5 times the gross amount of the minimum social wage for unskilled workers (SSM);
- me sumy for the semester of this scholarship are swaying as follows:
- income less than 1 time SSM: EUR 1,995;
- income from 1 to 1.5 times SSM: EUR 1,682;
- income between 1.5 times and 2 times SSM: EUR 1,391;
- income from 2 to 2.5 times SSM: EUR 1,128;
- income between 2.5-fold and 3-fold SSM: EUR 866;
- income from 3 to 3.5 times SSM: 603 euros;
- income between 3.5 times and 4.5 times SSM: EUR 288;
- when a student loan application has been submittedthe difference between the maximum amount of EUR 1 995 and the amount awarded in the form of a grant is automatically added to the amount of the student loan;
- if an application for a student loan has been applied for and the applicant has not applied for a scholarship on the basis of social criteria, the scholarship will automatically be added to the amount of the student loan;
- family scholarship :
- accessible if, at the same time, one or more children from the same household are studying higher education eligible for AideFi;
- awarded in one installment in the summer semester. The amount per semester is set at 262 eur to the student. Note that students who do not apply for the summer semester may request a review of the winter semester by sending an e-mail to the case manager.
A increase by 1000 euros (scholarship 500 euros and loan 500 euros) can be awarded to a student who is in serious and exceptional situationand who they face extra charges. This increase is authorized by the Minister on the basis of a reasoned opinion.
The different categories of scholarships are cumulative.
A computer simulator is also available.
How do I request AideFi?
The process is performed online via MyGuichet.lu, it is accessible to everyone.
The online process can be performed with or without LuxTrust (Smartcard, Token, Signing-Stick) or Electronic Identity Card (eID).
The student can add attachments to ongoing procedures quickly and easily directly from their smartphone or tablet. Here is the scholarship application form at Guichet.lu
Students may be reimbursed part of the registration fees and a loan may be granted. By filling in the form, various tools are offered.
Find us at