As in 2021, the special events of May 11, 12 and 13 will be fixed on the Santorini platform. Students write on paper copies, which are then scanned. Teachers do not have access to hard copies.
Deterioration of working conditions
For proofreaders, Santorini leads to worsening working conditions. Colleagues have to spend several hours a day in front of the screens for several days in a row, which poses health and work-related risks. Digitized correction also makes it difficult to classify copies in order to compare them and adjust the marks.
Supervision and inability to plan remedial work
The choice of digital enables the implementation of the managerial logic of supervising teachers in remedial work. The collection of statistics on corrected scripts in real time pursues the goal of monitoring at work. Batches are sometimes assigned during a repair.
Digitization of copies often makes them unusable at first, which requires the first preliminary and additional verification of copies at the beginning of the repair.
It is also an obstacle to the right to strike, as copies of strikers can be directly redistributed by other proofreaders.
Economic and environmental costs
This digital correction system has significant environmental costs: the production of the necessary machines, the digitization of millions of pages of copies of candidates, online consultations, data storage and possible reprinting of copies. Digitization and especially online archiving of copies requires a considerable amount of electricity, energy consumption incompatible with the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
SOUTH Education requires:
– Quick exit of Santorini software and related procedures;
– until this waiver, the possibility for colleagues to gain access to the original paper versions of the copies, if they so request, as soon as they have been digitized;
– individual allocation of all benefits from the beginning of the correction period without subsequent adjustments (except for peer leave or correction of administrative allocation errors) so that they can organize their work; the number of copies to be repaired must be stated in the repairers’ summons and may not be added during the proceedings;
– withdrawal of the Blanquer reform from high school diploma.
SUD Education recommends that proofreaders do not post comments on the platform before completing the repair work (that is: not to mention them in the specified place, but temporarily, for example, in the evaluation text). It is the recording of notes that makes it possible to consider the copy as corrected and to collect data on the degree of correction. Teachers of philosophy collectively decided on this mode of action in June 2021: to print copies and enter notes en masse on the last day.
Regarding the use of digital technologies in national education, SUD Education states:
– the end of full digital technology for the legitimate use of a computer tool;
– generalizing the use of energy-efficient operating systems and long-life software on all computing devices by promoting free software and repair, recruiting staff trained in the maintenance and upkeep of IT tools;
– setting up the collection and sorting of digital waste;
– integration of digital environmental issues into school curricula.